Wednesday, January 16, 2008

1st photo prompt

Photography prompt 1
We have already taken 14 brilliant photos documenting your last 14 days. This week look at taking photos from a different angle/perspective. Try taking photos from above, from below. Take a closer look and start to zoom in on your subject.

If you are working with a digital camera try playing with depth of field. Here's a pratical for you to try.

Go grab a vase of flowers, a plant, coffee cup and place on a table. Grab your manul if you have never moved from auto!!

1. Place your camera onto apperture priority "A" or "TV". This allows you to change the F/stop apperture setting and your camera will sort the shutter speed for you

2. Pop your ISO onto 100 - 250 depending on your light situation.100 being outside and good lighting, 250 for inside with some natural light

3. Now move your fstop to the lowest number on your camera, this could be anything between 1.4 - 3.5. Focus on your subject, take your photo

4. Now move the fstop to 5.6 , snap. Next move to fstop 11, snap

5. Can you see a difference? Your first photo shows the subject in clear focus with a blurry background. The last photo shows all the area in clear focus!

or not ... sigh, I ended up with something so dark I could barely see it, after I finally worked out where to change the ISO! But it did prompt me - to Google, where I found this book, due out in March, so I emailed my book shop and asked them to preorder it for me!


No comments: